Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Florida!

Iwanski and I went to our good friend Andy’s wedding in Orlando, FL this past weekend. What a lovely time!—and such beautiful weather! We made it a long weekend and got to see a few other sights, as well. Here are just a few observations from my first time EVER in Florida:

--I want to live in Florida from January through March. Then I can come back to Chicago for the other months of the year. How can I make this happen?

--Orlando is a confusing city to drive around in. When we finally found the street that our hotel was on, there were two signs posted: “No left turn” and “No right turn.” Huh?!?!

--For the first time, ever, Iwanski accidentally went the wrong way down a one-way street. I laughed and laughed.

--It’s fun to stand on a street corner in full wedding attire, eating hot dogs from a street vendor while listening to “Margaritaville” being blasted from a nearby bar.

--The beaches on the Gulf of Mexico are absolutely gorgeous.

--The forests of the Orlando/Tampa Bay region are just as beautiful as the beaches.

--It is wicked-awesome to see alligators in the wild, hanging out in a river fifty feet in front of you.

--Armadillos (which seemed to be very commonplace in Florida) are very strange creatures who are kind-of cute in an ugly sort-of way.

--The birds of Florida are plentiful and beautiful.

--The pelican is my absolute favorite bird. Check out this picture…notice how the pelican in the back has his mouth wide-open? So freakin’ cool!



I really enjoyed our little trip to Florida. And just wait…there may be more pictures or stories to follow!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I used dream of wintering in the south and summering in Chicago. It's an excellent thought. Sounds like a great driving challenge. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Diane said...

My trip to Florida was life changing! It will always be a special place for me! :) Glad you had a great time and I can't wait to hear more stories and see more pictures!
o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Leah said...

What a nice break from this weather! Sounds like a wonderful trip, I'm glad you had fun!

I think you have to get old to winter in Florida (or turn into a bird?) At least that's how it works where I live.

sageweb said...

I love pelicans, I once had a pelican hang out with us on vacation. He let us pet him. It was bizarre..he hung out on our boat the entire week..we named him Ralph.

rosemary said...

Florida can be wonderful. The few times we have been there for pleasure (not work related) it was hotter that the lowest part of hell and humid....January thru March is the perfect time!!

Unknown said...

Umm, I remember when you guys thought San Diego was the shiz...you used to come visit me and everything!

You can have your Florida!!!

:P

Sling said...

I'm lovin' the Pelican pic..Looks like he's waiting for someone to come by and drop a Mackerel in his craw.
Let's see some o' those other Florida pictures!

Br. Jonathan said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great time, but I'm also glad you're home.

I am so sorry about the litter box. . .

Barb said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Florida. Come back and visit us anytime! Maybe next time we can get together.