Sunday, July 27, 2008

This Weekend's Equations

Great Friends + Buck’s yummy homemade Hungarian food + Watermelon Daiquiries + Karaoke = A Fabulous Friday Night.

Too much to drink + too little sleep = A Very Tired Miss Healthypants

Cheap, yummy Mr. Subs + Saturday shopping with my best girlfriend in Boys Town + a 2 ½ hour massage given by the best massage therapist in the world (Diane rocks!)= A very happy and relaxed Miss Healthypants.

BBQ Pork Chow Mein for Lunch + A Warm, Sunny Day at the Zoo + A Long Walk along Lake Michigan beaches + Honey Chicken Wings + Fresh Corn on the Cob + Spinach Salad with Strawberries, Sliced Almonds, and Homemade Strawberry Vinagrette = The Best Sunday I’ve Had in A Long Time.


As you can tell, this weekend totally rocked. I got to spend it with all of my best friends, and the weather couldn’t have been nicer. I loves me some hot weather!

And it was just so good to see my best girlfriend, Diane. She lives beyond the Cheddar Curtain in Wisconsin, so I don’t get to see her very often—even though we do talk on the phone almost every day! But when we do get a chance to get together, we always have a great time. I have not talked much here about Diane before, but she is the one of the most genuine, kind, generous people you can ever meet. And she’s really funny, too. Her sense of humor is partly derived from the fact that she is just so honest.

For example: On Friday night, I was harassed by the bouncer at the karaoke bar because my license had expired in May. (I had no idea that it had expired—I never drive anywhere.) We almost didn’t get into the bar because of that. Anyway, later when I was carded at the local 7-Eleven for buying more rum for our watermelon daiquiries, Diane, who was standing behind me, said to the store clerk in a loud voice, “You know, that’s an expired card. Her driver’s license is expired.” The clerk just looked at her and sold me the rum, anyway. I could’ve killed her! But it was hilarious.

There are so many moments like that with Diane. She is very bold and will go up to complete strangers and ask them about themselves. For example, this weekend on the train, we ended up talking to a college student from Austin, Texas who was studying to be a history teacher and was visiting his sister in Chicago. And all because Diane took one look at him and asked him, “You look like a reader. Do you read a lot?” (As it turns out, the guy did.) It was an interesting conversation, and all because Diane took a chance on asking a complete stranger about himself. How fun!

Oh, and also, Diane has almost graduated from massage school, and I’ve been her “massage guineau pig” now on a few different occasions. And let me tell you, I’ve had a few “professional” massages before, but Diane gives the best massages (all of her teachers tell her she’s a great massage therapist, too). Aren’t I just the lucky one?

I’ll tell you, life is fun when you have a loving, funny, creative husband and a caring, funny, friendly best girlfriend. Not to mention a generous, funny, world-class cook and friend named Buck who, I’ve just discovered, makes fabulous Hungarian food! Who knew?

Suffice it to say that Miss Healthypants is also Miss Happypants.

See? (Aren’t we cute?)

9 comments:

Diane said...

WOW! You are so sucking up for more massages aren't you? It totally worked, but you forgot to say I was gorgeous and intelligent too! :)

Thank you for your friendship, you have completely opened up my world in so many ways and on so many levels! LOVE YA! :)

Lorraine said...

Too cute, too adorable, too awesome.

The Rainforest is feeling a little jealous.

(Ha! That's what your husband called me on the 3rd of July and now I'm flashing it around like some sorta, you know, nickname).

Sling said...

I agree with The Rainforest!
(See!..This blog nickname thing spreads like wildfire!)..
You guys are totally cute. :)

Barb said...

And here I thought I had a good weekend (getting my son's room organized) ~ Now I'm totally bummed. Just kidding ~ glad you had a GREAT weekend.

Br. Jonathan said...

That photo is way too cute. I had a fantastic time too!
Now, we've got a world-class photographer AND a massage therapist in "the family."

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good time but now I know what to do with the excess watermelon that I am going to have very soon. Should I just pour the rum right into the watermelon?

Miss Healthypants said...

Chick, you are gorgeous and intelligent, too----when's my next massage? *hee hee* Seriously, thank you for your friendship, as well--you ROCK!! :)

Thanks, Rainforest. *smiles*

And thank you, Sling Shot! *grin*

Barb, I also like the "organization weekends"--and believe me, I need one of those soon, as well. :)

Buck--a world-class photographer, a great massage therapist, AND a world-class cook! What more do you need? *smiles*

Mathman--I would advise freezing watermelon chunks, and then putting them in the blender or food processor with rum, sugar, and lime. Yummy! :)

Anonymous said...

Massage therapist, world class cook...

Massage therapist, world class cook...

Dammit. I was really thinking I'd be able to settle with just having one of them.

Cheers to your great weekend!

Citymouse said...

awwwww