Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chi-town Happenings

Today, a homeless woman said to me, “I like your outfit,” and then asked me for some change. Now there’s a new one! Of course I had to give her some money. Hey, she gave me a compliment—how could I resist?

Note to homeless people: give me a compliment, and I’ll give you money. (Note: This does not apply to Mr. Skeevy homeless guy holding a 40 ouncer of Milwaukee’s Best, weaving down the street and yelling “Hey, Sexy Mama!”)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Today, the unthinkable happened. They closed down all the Bennigan’s restaurants in our neighborhood. Apparently the company filed for bankruptcy. I am devastated. Thank GOD we still have TGI Friday’s, Chili’s, and Houlihan’s! Yes, before you ask—I do realize that I live in the city. But I have a special fondness for cheesey appetizers that only those silly chain restaurants can fulfill.

But I also love my neighborhood Thai, Indian, Cajun, Mexican, and English Pub restaurants. I remember there also used to be a wonderful, fantabulous Chinese restaurant in our neighborhood with the best spicy lunch buffet. It was called Szechuan East. Iwanski and I had a standing date with that place. On many a Saturday, we would wake up, get ready, and head over to Szechaun East. They knew us and would immediately wave us over to our usual table. Then, one day, without warning, we arrived at the place and found it all boarded up and empty. Now that was a time that I was REALLY devastated. It really was the best restaurant ever.

I guess that that’s one of the hazards of living in the city. Things change, sometimes very quickly. Restaurants and stores come and go—and so I’ve learned the lesson of not getting too attached to your favorite place.

But if Walgreen’s ever shuts down, I don’t know what I’ll do. I don’t think I could handle it.

5 comments:

Jason Boskey said...

Why do you think the Chinese place closed down?

Meow!!!

Br. Jonathan said...

I just hope that the Blue Weasel never closes down!

When are we going back????

Sling said...

I don't know what I'd do without my favorite greasy spoon.
All I have to do is say,'I don't need a menu today',and they know that means 'sausage and eggs,homefries,wheat toast,and black coffee'..
I don't have time to train a whole new restuarant.

Unknown said...

You have reminded me of a couple downtown Chicago Stories. One is the flood of '93, I'll blog that but when I worked at Radio Shack on Wabash I knew and knew of many homeless people.

One night after I made the bank deposit (the store was on Lake and Wabash) at Randolph and Michigan I walked down Randolph to the subway. As I passed a dark door, I startled a women peeing. I couldn't see anything but she said, "do you want to see some black pussy?" I scurried away frightened super rat

Miss Healthypants said...

Bosk--don't say that! I ate there all the time!!!!

Buck--the Blue FROG has been there a long time, I think--and don't worry, we'll go back soon! :)

Sling, you crack me up! "Train a new restaurant." Bwa-ha-ha! :)

Mathman--that's just nasty! I saw a guy peeing on the subway stairs once--I was coming up out of the subway and was starting to remark on what a beautiful day it was...but all that came out of my mouth was "Beautiful..." and the guy looked at me and said, "Sorry." LOL! I guess he was nicer than your peeing person. *grin*