A week or so ago, I posted about my favorite comfort foods—and I loved reading about the foods that other people are comforted by.
But what about those foods that make me want to hurl? Yep, I have a few of those, too. Here they are:
1. Olives—they are salty and sour. Blech. For the life of me, I don’t understand why people like them.
2. Mashed potatoes—yes, that’s right. I HATE mashed potatoes. I can eat french fries and even baked potatoes (with the appropriate dousing of sour cream), but the mushy texture of mashed potatoes makes me want to vomit. And as a matter of fact, when I was very little and my Dad tried to make me eat mashed potatoes, that’s just what I did. I said I was going to gag if he made me eat them, and gag I did. He never tried to make me eat mashed potatoes again.
3. Frozen peas—I can eat fresh peas and canned peas, but for some reason, when frozen peas are cooked, they both smell and taste disgusting to me. They don’t even taste like peas to me—they taste like freezer burn.
4. Salmon loaf—now don’t get me wrong, I love love love fresh salmon. In fact, it’s probably one of my favorite types of fish (second only to fried walleye). But salmon loaf is an ENTIRELY different thing. For those of you who’ve never had it, I have procured a picture of the putrid pink concoction for you to enjoy.
It even looks disgusting, doesn’t it? I remember when I was a kid, and my Mom would decide to cook salmon loaf (I think she bought the pre-made frozen salmon loaf). The whole house would fill with that foul, fishy odor. And the taste—well, let’s just say that whenever my Mom made it, I opted to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. I absolutely can’t stand the taste of salmon loaf.
5. Blue cheese—now why on earth would someone deliberately choose to eat mold? I just don’t get it. Now, I have recently realized that I can somehow stomach some types of blue cheese salad dressing—but generally only if it’s accompanied by buffalo wings. I still can’t eat it on salad. Sour, moldy cheese is pretty much the opposite of appetizing to me.
Okay, now that I’ve thoroughly lost my appetite just thinking about these foods, perhaps you can all enthrall me with tales of tastes that you just can’t stand.